Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

EJ20X Left and right Exhaust cam sensors loose signal after 5000rpm

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

Forgive me if this is not the place but I am hoping to get some insight on an issue that I can not seem to resolve. The car is a 1998 Subaru GC8 with a Legacy/Liberty EJ20x engine powered by a Haltech Elite 1500.Everything is running great for the most part and we were about finished with the tune but we realized that after 5000rpms the left and right exhaust cam sensors for the AVCS will go from reading properly to having a few crazy numbers for a split second and then go to "no signal" causing the LH and RH AVCS to not work with each other. After the RPMs drop they calibrate correctly and start working fine most of the time but occasionally one will fall to not calibrated until the engine is turned off and started up again.Intake cam sensors, Home, Trigger all are working and are in full sink at all times and are having no issues.- For this engine the Intake cam sensors are Hall effect and the exhaust cam sensors are Reluctor (set to falling edge and have tried rising).-I have checked with a multi meter the LH and RH cam sensors and are correct with the pinout.-Made sure that the correct side of the reluctor sensor is connected to signal ground.-Unplugged the connectors to ECU and made sure signal ground is NOT connected directly to any Chassis ground.-Using SPI1 and SPI4 so the lines are shielded so I would think noise isn't the issue?-Changed all 4 cam sensors to new ones.-Even swapped engines and looked at the previous engines logs and they were doing the same thing. (Manifold and engine harness is the same from the previous engine so wiring would be the same)I will attach screen shots at where I am seeing the issues in the (VCT) tab and the data logs. Any help or trouble shooting methods would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance!

Attached Files
  • 4600rpm-Cam-sensors-reading-fine.png
  • Attachments may only be downloaded by paid Gold members. Read more about becoming a Gold member here.

• 6400rpm-exh2-No-signal-Exh1-crazy-numbers.png
  • Attachments may only be downloaded by paid Gold members. Read more about becoming a Gold member here.

• 7400rpm-both-exh-cams-show-no-signal.png

• after-decel-to-3900rpm-cams-are-off-target-but-reading-again.png

• Exhaust-cam-Input-cam-control-settings.png

• Kevin_GC8_Haltech_EJ20x_R3_billetVF36_v5-wot-test.csv

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?