Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

Yamaha YZ450F Gear Position Sensor Wiring

Practical Motorsport Wiring - Club Level

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discussion and questions related to the course Practical Motorsport Wiring - Club Level

= Resolved threads

Author

I am trying to determine how to connect the gear position sensor on a Yamaha YZ450F single cylinder engine to a Link FuryX ECU. I want to be able to display the gear on a digital dash. It is a 3 pin sensor. Attached is the wiring diagram from the stock harness, it is #28 in the diagram. It appears as just a set of 6 switches in the diagram. I have also attached a picture of the sensor itself.

Could it just be some combination of high and low for each gear on the three pins? If so, would I supply power on one and read the other two as inputs? It's strange though, because the sensor seems to have no mechanical connection to the motor, it just is flat on the other side from photos I've seen online (I haven't removed the sensor from my engine to see, but the back looks the same.)

Attached Files

There are three wires at the connector, which have a total of 8 possible ways they can be grounded to indicate the 6 gear positions, neutral, and a spare.

That should take care of the logic, as such - you should be able to test by grounding in the different ways to see what is displayed.

The internal switches should just be to meet the packaging arrangements that best suite the installation - it's possible they're some form of hall switches?

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?