Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

CAMSHAFT TUNING ON A 2015 FOCUS ST WITH HP TUNERS

Practical Reflash Tuning

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discussion and questions related to the course Practical Reflash Tuning

= Resolved threads

Author

I am trying to get some help with tuning my 2015 Focus ST. I have never tuned anything before. I have taken the EFI Fundamentals, Practical Reflash Tuning and the VVT Camshaft courses.

I have 2000 miles on a factory Ford long block. I have a Garrett Powermax turbo, Garrett intercooler, Mishimoto intake and a set of Piper mild road camshafts.

I plan to upgrade the exhaust for better flow and fuel system to run E85. I want to try and start tuning the VE tables but i noticed in HP Tuners that there are parameters for intake valve opening and intake valve closing as well as exhaust valve closing. I assume that this needs to be programed since the lift and duration of the camshafts have changed. I am trying to figure out what these parameters should be set at for these camshafts. i have attached the specs that Piper has listed as well as what HP Tuners shows for the stock camshafts.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Tony,

You've really jumped in the deep end with your first ever tune being on an engine with modified cams and turbo on a modern Ford!

Does HP Tuners offer a means of simplified VE tuning using custom code? The HDFX system would be quite a challenge to tune without extensive dyno time. Yes you'll need the cam info you pictured, but aftermarket cams change engine VE at all positions so the whole HDFX system would need retuned unless they have a means of over riding it.

LOL yes i realize i went diving before i learned how to swim.

HP Tuners is using a speed density calculator. I have attached a snip of the calculator.

Attached Files

Yea that's still for the HDFX system. I see the pull down says mapped point 0. Tuning an engine by setting cams for each possible VVT position combo (each mapped point the ECU refers to), then dialing in fuel and timing for each mapped point, with a a reflash required for every adjustment at each point, is quite a lengthy process. It's like tuning 16-32 engines worth of VE tables...I don't recall how many mapped points that ECU uses off hand.

I know COBB offers their pro tuners a means of simple SD tuning via a single table vs. 10+ tables so I was wondering if HPT offers something similar for that.

It looks like all 14 map points are enabled. i was thinking about only having 1 map point enabled at a time. I feel like this will lock me into 1 map point at a time. The speed density calculator shows map vs engine speed. I am not sure if i just data log a table for map vs engine speed or if there is some user math that i need to set up.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?