Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

360 opto trigger problems

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

Hello. Today I was tried to start my SR20DET with Link G4+ Xtreme. So I choose Nissan 360 opto as trigger system. After this I`ve started "Test ECCS sync" to determine the widest slot. So Link help file says that I should clearly see in Runtime values menu Trigger status of all three should be "YES" and highlighted with green color. But this is not my case. Trigger 1 never goes to "YES". And why I am here with these question is because with the built in Link Trigger scope there is 2 triggers clearly visible. ( screens attached). I have tried even to switch places with Trig 1 and Trig 2 and no results.

[img="http://i.piccy.info/i9/746682c3785cdf5b6927dd9dc627ddde/1518281373/59012/1220678/Screen_Shot_2018_02_10_at_13_15_18_800.jpghttp://i.piccy.info/a3/2018-02-10-16-49/i9-12050023/800x330-r/i.gif" alt=""]

[img="http://i.piccy.info/i9/3839205f2f8ca581355e7e5b24c1f90b/1518282008/91561/1220678/Screen_Shot_2018_02_10_at_18_58_04_800.jpghttp://i.piccy.info/a3/2018-02-10-17-00/i9-12050077/742x575-r/i.gif" alt=""]

What about your trigger settings? Are they correct ?

Note: THE ENGINE WILL NOT START when Test ECCS Sync is turned ON.

Setup Procedure:

Setup ECCS Trigger Decoding as follows (Read the entire process and ensure you understand before starting):

Ensure the 360 slot signal is wired to the ECUs Trig 1 input.

Ensure the 4,6 or 8 slot signal is wired to the ECUs Trig 2 input.

Switch the key on, do not start the engine.

Connect to the ECU using PCLink.

Ensure all Configuration options are correct.

Under the Fuel heading, select Fuel Setup. Set Injection Mode to OFF. This will prevent the engine from starting.

Under the Triggers heading, select Trigger Setup.

Select Nissan 360 Opto as the Trigger Mode. Note that this will initialise all trigger inputs to default values. The default values are as follows:

·

Trigger 1:

·

Trigger 1 Type = Optical/Hall

·

Trigger 1 Pull up = ON

·

Trigger 1 Filtering = Level 1

·

Trigger 2:

·

Trigger 2 Type = Optical/Hall

·

Trigger 2 Pull up = ON

·

Trigger 2 Filtering = Level 1

Select the resolution mode. Select Low Res Mode = ON for engines with aggressive cam shaft profiles or lightweight flywheels. This will provide improved timing stability on engines that have large variations in CAS rotation speed per revolution.

Set Test ECCS Sync to ON. This will put the ECU into a special mode where it will automatically calculate the position of the widest slot. Note that in this mode the ECU will disable both fuel and ignition. Enabling this function will also initialise the ECCS Widest Slot value to 0.

Open the Triggers/Limits tab of the Runtime Values window (F12 key).

Crank the engine. This will start the widest slot calculation procedure. This procedure will take about 4 seconds. If the procedure executes correctly, the following should be observed:

·

The Trig 2 Signal run time value will display YES first, indicating the ECU detects a correct 4, 6 or 8 slot trigger signal. If this value displays as NO during cranking, check sensor output and wiring.

·

Trig 1 Signal runtime value will then display YES, indicating the ECU detects a correct 360 slot trigger signal. If this value displays as NO during cranking, check sensor output and wiring.

·

Finally the ECCS Sync runtime value will display YES when the process has finished.

·

ECCS Widest Slot will change from zero to a value indicating the width of the slot (typically between 5 and 25).

If after 10 seconds of cranking the ECCS Widest Slot value is still zero, an error has occurred. Recheck all trigger wiring and test the CAS output. If this is OK, repeat the entire procedure.

If the process completed successfully, switch Test ECCS Sync to OFF.

Remembering that the Injection Mode is still set to OFF, crank the engine and check that a stable engine speed (RPM) is obtained and the value is consistent with a typical cranking speed.

Set Injection Mode back to the desired option.

If all is OK, perform a store to permanently save all settings to the ECU.

Set the base timing before attempting to start the engine (DO NOT JUST TRY STARTING THE ENGINE!).

No need to copy all information from help file. I have read all of it. The problem is that link can't see Trigger 1 signal.

Hi Volodymyr,

What you are seeing is a bit odd, I havent been able to reproduce it here but judging from your trigger scope it is not going to stop you from running.

Switch the 360 slot sensor back to trigger 1 like your first scope picture. Turn on "test ECCS sync" but donot run the test - just manually type in a widest slot of 16 deg, then turn off ECCS test. Then try cranking and see if you get valid RPM displayed.

Adam,

Thank You. Did as You said. Now I am receiving a clear engine speed signal wile cranking, and all three Trigger status goes to "YES".

Glad you've had a positive result Grisom.

It might be worth having a look at how you've got things grounded, your trigger signal in the Link scope trace only falls back to 1V. The Nissan CAS has a ground wire, but also grounds through its body to the cylinder head. You might have a bit of a ground offset between the ECU and the engine block for some reason? It could also be completely normal, we've got an R32 GTR here at the moment with a plug in G4+. I'll grab the scope traces out of it tomorrow and we can compare :-).

Zac, waiting for your scope images. Thanks )

G'day Volodymyr

Hot off the press! Scope trace was taken while the engine was cranking, as I assume that's when yours were also taken, as the starter motor current might affect things. The signal on this R32, which has the OEM wiring in place drops back down to 0.3V, quite a bit further than yours. Depending on what level the link ecu actually triggers at when setup to read a digital trigger sensor on the falling side, your signals only dropping back to 1V might cause you problems, but the link tech guys should be able to give you a firmer answer on that.

Have a read of Andy Wyatts awesome article on grounding, its the best explanation I've seen, and is particularly relevant in the case of Nissans with the OEM CAS in place.

http://www.adaptronic.com.au/ecu-grounding-tips/

Attached Files

Zac,

Many thanks for the link to information. I will read it with pleasure. I am really wondering what arming voltage Link ECU uses with optical sensors.

So I have read information about proper ECU grounding. The reason I had 1v offset is because the ECU was grounded to the body chassis and the rest of the electronics to the engine inlet manifold. So no I have a 0.17V offset. Thanks again Zac.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?