Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

Choosing between GT3082 and GTX3076 gen2

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

Question here for turbo experts.

After a fire incident, I had my garret 3582 destroyed but still got the tial turbo housing left, t3 flange, 2853 .82 (pic below)

Currently looking to buy a GT3082 dual ball bearing turbo (pic nr 2 below) and willing to fit the tial turbo housing to it.

Is it going to be ok in terms of spool time and power band? Aiming at 500hp. also, regarding the compressor housing options, which one would you recommend? (pic nr 3 below).

Also, should I get the anti-surge option? (pic nr 4)

Also, I am also looking at a GTX3076 gen 2, of course this would be much more expensive, but I am asking because I would like to know if it's worth the price difference (I would save 650 USD on a GT3082, considering I have the hot side housing.)

Thank you

Attached Files

You haven't given any information about the engine so it's a little hard to give you solid feedback. In general the 3582 and 3082 would not be my choices for a 500 hp (flywheel) target. The GT35 compressor wheel is complete overkill and using the larger turbine wheel with the GT3082 would give you more lag than the likes of a 3076. This of course is dependent on your engine though. Just to throw a spanner in the works though I'd seriously be considering the G25-550 or G25-660 if spool is your key concern. The new G series turbos are a newer generation of wheel designs offering superior flow and less inertia which aids spool. Give us a little more info and I'm happy to add some more suggestions.

Expanding on this topic.

I am in a similiar boat at the moment. I have a fresh non-VVTI 1JZ that will be going in a car that is primarily used for drifting but may do some circuit later on. I'm trying to determine what turbo would suit my needs best, so far I have narrowed the choice down to GTX3071, GTX3076 or potentially a G25-550/660.

I would like it to be very responsive with a punchy mid range and I can't see myself really needing over 300rwkw/400rwhp.

What turbo would you recommend?

Hi Kurt, the fact that you've got a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder will really help with the boost response so I don't think you'd have issue with any of those turbos. Given the results I've seen so far I'd be inclined to go with the G25-660.

Or EFR7064 which on a 2.5 liter engine will provide extremely good spool with a 0.83 a/r housing.

I know this was not the question, though ;).

I'd tend to agree with Christoph - The EFR turbo would be my choice, particularly over the GT3071 and GTX3076. The G series is more comparable but I don't have enough back to back data between the G-series and EFRs to make a call there.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?