Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

GTX3067R oil restrictor

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

I just had to replace my CHRA (GTX3067R dual ceramic ball bearing) because of oil damage to bearing seals. Very surprised to learn that the seals had failed.

Now I have replaced the spendy CHRA and want to avoid this happening again.

Unfortunately, the internet is 'all over the board' on this topic

- Some say it has a restrictor in the CHRA some say it doesn't

- Some say buy a regulator

- Some say port drain outlet

- Some say fabricate a test gauge from parts from the local hardware store

Garrett states that the optimum oil pressure to the turbo is 40 - 45lbs pressure at high RPMs

Now, how to achieve that, the right way. Oil flow is fundamental to lubrication and cooling of turbo, so I expect that a standard process has been established.

Need help in understanding the 'right way' so to add longevity to the turbo.

So a genuine garrett GTX turbo has an oil restrictor in the oil feed inlet. However, this restrictor is not enough on its own to limit oil flow a lot of applications.

Cars with high flow/high pressure pumps qnd cars with variable cam setups that make a oil pressure from down low will still push enough oil through the oil feed restrictor orifice to flood the bearing cartridge.

This is why people like turbosmart make an oil pressure regulator to help limit the oil pressure/flow into the turbo cartridge.

Poorly designed turbo oil drains can contribute to bearings getting flooded. Excessive silicone on drain gaskets, small diameter drains and drains that dont match the drain outlet all contribute. Most factory applications aim for 1/2 ID for drain hoses, with the drain entering the sump above the oil line.

Excessive crankcase pressure can also limit the effectiveness of oil draining out of the turbo as well.

The best course it to just review your setup. Check drain hoses havent sepearated internally, the drain flange matches the turbo, and if you have a lot of oil flow/pressure maybe a reg will be your best solution.

Nathan hit pretty much every point.

It's important the oil drain be at the bottom on the housing, as if it's offset it will allow oil to sit there and depending on the internal design, may allow oil to pool high enough to partially immerse the bearing/seal. Within reason, the larger the diameter of the ENTIRE drain the better - a single restricted point will restrict the entire drain system - and it should be ALL directing the flow downward - for a vehicle that will be subject to high "G" loadings, bear that in mind, as it will also act on the draining oil.

Thank you for the tips.

- oil outlet is 13.5mm, oil tube is 12.5mm

- CHRA rotated 5 degrees clock wise

Oil pressure cold is mid 60’s and warm high 50’s. Seems to me that oil pressure is not high.

I will review the oil set up and look for possible flow restrictions. Will consider an oil pressure regulator.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?