Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

Hondata S300 ECU Setup

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

I am attempting to tune my first Hondata S300 in my shop. The owner sent the computer in to a dealer to program for E85. I am just now getting it to custom tune. I am trying to enable my Innovative LM2 to datalog and closed loop control in the ECU so I can do WOT tuning. Part throttle is roughed in using the LM2 display and holding each cell. I have had Output 1 from the LM2 connected to Analog 0 and now Analog 2 and enabling closed loop with a lambda target as I decided that closed loop control would be nice to have and the owner agrees.

After clicking on virtually every button, tab, and link, I think I may have found my issues with this Hondata S300. This is my first Hondata tune and I think I figured out how to change everything over to kpa and Lambda so I can decifer the data in a language I readily understand. I didn't realize I had to set this ECU up from scratch. I have attached the calibrations, please help me verify that I have the ECU set up correctly for closed loop and wideband datalogging and let me know if you see anything out of place? I still have questions about the vtech setup and boost by gear, but first things first.

Thanks for your help!!

Corey

Attached Files

Hondata comes with startup calibrations, but every engine is different. You should not be tuning with closed loop enabled. Disable it for tuning and then enable it for cruise and part throttle after your tune is done. I see you have closed loop enabled all the way to 8000 I think thats too high. Hondata has excellent tutorials and help files try going on their website. From looking at the maps you need to refine it more, look at the maps in 2d they should not be overlaying each other and should have smooth changes. Also I see you want to keep closed loop well into boost, remember this is still an old honda ecu the processing power is not all the greatest. I would use closed loop only for part throttle and idle not boost conditions. If this is version 3 hondata and you plan on running e85 and its a street car id look into getting a flex fuel sensor as well.

Thanks for the reply. I will disable the closed loop for the tuning. Does the calibration look correct to datalog the wideband for any tuning. If I am on the wrong track, what is the best method of deteriming the lambda delivered at each rpm and load cell? The file I posted has not been run yet, but am going to try it out this afternoon. The owner runs e85 from a drum but a content sensor is in the works just in case.

Thank you all for your help,

Corey

Thanks for the reply. I will disable the closed loop for the tuning. Does the calibration look correct to datalog the wideband for any tuning. If I am on the wrong track, what is the best method of deteriming the lambda delivered at each rpm and load cell? The file I posted has not been run yet, but am going to try it out this afternoon. The owner runs e85 from a drum but a content sensor is in the works just in case.

Thank you all for your help,

Corey

OK, when trying to record a session with the engine idling, the low speed fuel sensor overlay (analog 2) table was blank. I could see the cells it was running in, but it was not populating the table. One of two things here, 1) my LM2 is not ouputting the voltage necessary for the ECU to bring into analog 2 to use for lambda control. I am going to check this when I get back to the shop in the morning. or 2) I don't have the wiring correct, or the ECU not setup correctly to do what I am trying to do. I believe it is correctly setup, but maybe not. I have the LM2 wired into the analog 2 input and ground on the S300 card and from what I can see, the settings correct in the software. I attached the current calibration. Please help me figure out what I am missing here. I am pulling my hair out with this.

Thank you all for your help.

Corey

Attached Files

First of all if you configured the wideband input can you see it working? Ive never tuned e85 on hondata before im assuming you need to change your target af values from gasoline to e85 as well. In help file look under Lambda overlay and Closed Loop advanced parameters.

I verified thaat my analog out from the lm2 has the proper voltage. I cannot, however see the analog 2 inout into the ECU. I did, however notice that R2 and R3 are supposed to be removed. will be doing this shortly. attached is the calibration and datalog from this morning. The owner sent the ECU to a shop to have a base e85 map loaded. It is rich across the board as far as I have taken it. Switching between fuels is why I prefer to speak lambda and not AFR.

Thank you,

Corey

Attached Files

Ok, verified I have output voltage and unsoldered R2 and R3 per the overlay instructions. When datalogging, voltage shows up in analog 2 and afr in an2 under the sensors tab, but nothing shows in the overlay table. I attached a screenshot of what I am looking at. I also attached the last datalog captured.

Thanks,

Corey

Attached Files

Im still havgin a hard time understanding of what your doing with that wideband input but click shift + f2 to show recorded/datalogged afr readings in the overlay. that will work if you configured it correctly.

That is exactly what I want. Showing the datalogged AFR or Lambda in the overlay is exactly what I want. This way, I can see exactly what changes need to be made and where. It was explained to me how to use the graph, but how do I need to configure it to use the overlay? Eventually, I will want to use the wideband input to configure closed loop control, but that is for a later time. Thank you for your help.

Corey

which input are you using for the innovate? Analog inputs on the board? try wiring the wideband output in the the OEM honda sensor input on the ecu and see if you get any readings? otherwise you might have a bad configuration on the settings in the software. try switching the inputs. if you can see AFR on the gauges in the software then you wont be able to log. looking at your datalog file i dont see that the afr is logging.

I have the wideband on analog 2. When datalogging, it shows under the sensors tab. Hondata recommended I just setup the graph as I will not be able to use the overlay as I would like to. I will try wiring the wideband into either the D10 oin or D14 Long term to use for closed loop. Any other tips would be awsome!!

Thanks for your help,

Corey

Hondata would know best, they have a pretty good tuning tutorial on their website, its a little outdated to the current version of s300 but same concept applies.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?