Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

Using wasted-spark coil pack (from EDIS-6) with Haltech Elite 750

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

Hi all!

I have a Nissan L28 engine that is currently operating on MegaJolt ignition and carbs. MegaJolt (ignition controller) utilizes the Ford EDIS-6 ignition module (three channel) with a 3-pack "dumb" coil.

I am converting my carbs to Jenvey ITB's, and have purchased a Haltech Elite 750 for this purpose.

It would be very convenient for me to utilize the existing coil/wire arrangement and crank sensor with the Haltech ECU. EDIS-6 utilizes a 36-1 trigger wheel, which i currently have mounted and is operational.

Reviewing the Haltech quick-start guide, it appears I need a three channel ignition module to work with my existing coils. Alternatively I could utilize the EDIS-6 ignition module but it is not a 3-channel input. It has a "PIP" and "SAW" digital communication with the current MegaJolt brain to control ignition timing.

Questions:

1) Do you have any recommendations for a cost effective 3-channel ignition module to work between Haltech and my coil 3-pack?

2) Alternate to #1 above, does anyone have experience managing an EDIS-6 module from a Haltech Elite ECU? Is so, any details on how I can do this would be appreciated! This would certainly be the fastest approach i would suspect.

3) Since I am running wasted-spark at this time, any drawbacks I should be aware of when using a 36-1 VR crank trigger to run Haltech? If I understand correctly, I don't really need CAM/home sensor if I am running wasted spark?

I can eventually unlock additional budget to fully utilize the 6 ignition outputs on the Haltech 750, but I suspect the gain will be small relative to the expense at this time.

I haven't done that combo, but for question 3, no there is no drawback, and I suggest using a triggering system which is a bit future proof, so you can go direct spark in the future.

I imagine Haltech may have direct suggestion on the ignition module for you that they feel is the best fit with their ECU.

Thanks for the reply! Sounds good. I can get an optical sensor to fit over my unused distributor spline. That should future proof for sequential and direct spark.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?