Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

6.7 Ford (2012) - looks like tables already set up for more power??

Practical Diesel Tuning

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discussion and questions related to the course Practical Diesel Tuning

= Resolved threads

Author

Following along with the practical tuning video, my friends 2012 F350 powerstroke has all the torque/fuel/driver demand tables already setup factory for up to 992ft/lb (depending on the mode).

The truck does have an engine protection limit on the maximum torque of 650ft/lb.

I was trying to emulate the videos and look at increasing the torque within the tables, but they are already set up for much higher amounts......could it be as simple as removing the torque limit under engine protection?

It seems too simple and there is likely other limiters involved, but the tables go way beyond the factory 650 that this truck is limited to.

I feel like if the limiters are all still in place start there maybe? have you ran a log yet see what its putting out? Get an idea what you're working with. I wouldn't go any higher if those values are already high. But were both here for the same classes so its just my opinion.

Don't have access to the vehicle currently, just read the stock file to get used to the ECU strategy.

I'll definitely start there and see where it goes.

I would assume the fueling should increase closer to the current table values if that is indeed the overriding factor.

Just find it hard to believe that possibly a single value could unlock over 100ftlb of torque. (hopefully it can...there is a max attainable table that shows 746ftlb on this engine....I assume pre-calculated by the current tune values)

I find with tuning the physical real world science behind the engine is fairly straightforward, but the decoding of all the different ECU strategies (what value overrides others, which table the ECU looks at in which order etc.) is the real challenging part, and really requires vehicle and brand specific knowledge of each ECU and strategy that is being used.

For instance in the Ford gas world, you have an MBT table, and a borderline knock table for spark. The ECU will command the lower value of either table, then multiplied by 3-5 other values (IAT, ECT, etc) and all overridden by the absolute pressure limit spark table. Without knowing all these details a simple change to a spark table may never be commanded.

Very few people know and are willing to share this info ECU by ECU and really comes by a lot of trial and error, or scouring the internet for any shred of information.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?