Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

135 - VNT turbo control

Webinar Questions

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Ask questions about webinar lessons here. To see the Previous Webinars for a complete list of archives tuning webinars. 

= Resolved threads

Author

Hi,

I am wanting to purchase a GT2256V VNT turbo or similair and fit it to an older non-ecu diesel engine.

I have found heaps of information for people that remove the electronic actuator and just fit crude wastegate or vacuum actuators but I intend to tune it electronically. In the webinar it was mentioned that there is a bridge between the electronic actuator and the M1. I am after more detail about wiring the electronic actuator. Specifically pinouts and the type of signals the VNT actuator requires (PWM, etc).

I intend to use a $10 microcontroller to communicate with the VNT acuator rather than spending thousands on an ECU just for VNT control.

I am a graduate mechatronics engineer, experienced with microcontrollers, control theory, wiring etc. I know it will be involved. I have searched a lot of forums but when fitting VNT turbos to older vehicles everyone removes the electronic actuator and opts for a mechanical one. This webinar is one of the first times I've seen someone successfully interface with an OE electronic VNT actuator.

Any help is much appreciated

Sorry I don't actually have any details on the interface box. The MoTeC ECU we're using is a plug n play option for the 1KD and as such I didn't have anything to do with the wiring of it or reverse engineering the VNT control.

Some of the actuators just require a simple PWM to them, others need an H-Bridger, others communicate via LIN or can-bus

I have been successfully using an uprated Garrett VNT28 on a turbocharged Cosworth YB engine for many years now. This VNT turbocharger is designed for the higher exhaust temperatures seen in petrol engines. The engine is in my hillclimb Ginetta and it has proved very effective for British speed hillclimbing, where the tracks often have a few lower speed corners, so getting back on boost at low rpm is important. I use a Hella VNT actuator, commonly used on diesel engine VNTs, and I drive it with a Syvecs ECU. Prior to this I was using and Emerald ECU with a modified PWM output. The Hella actuator requires a PWM output to position the turbocharger turbine nozzles. If you simply map vane position to engine rpm you can get pretty good results. I still use a wastegate and boost control on the VNT, again via the Syvecs ECU. The actual control strategy I currently use does much more than this, but this is something that I have developed over 12 years and I would rather not share, as it gives me competitive edge on the track. I tried mechanical vane positioning when I first started using the VNT, but it did not get the best out of the VNT. Believe me, ECU mapped turbine vane position is the way to go. The difference is night and day.

I'd be interested to hear if you did pursue your project and how it went.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?