Forum » Webinar Questions » 240 | Methanol Tuning Considerations

240 | Methanol Tuning Considerations

Webinar Questions

Ask questions about webinar lessons here. To see the Previous Webinars for a complete list of archives tuning webinars. 

= Resolved threads

Page 1
Author

Hi!

Thanks about good information about the subject. I haven't been able to find too much information, especially what comes to small displacement turbo engines.

Where would I be able to find more info, in the internet somewhere or some book perhaps?

I understand, water is a problem, when storing in containers. especially if they are not sealed. What problems does it lead to, if you have some water in methanol?

I am building a Hayabusa based drag bike here in Finland, and this is my first turbo build also so we are really taking long route here, but I am hoping to finally start her up within a month or so..

If someone is interested to see more you can find us in..

www.facebook.com/funjamracing

I'm not sure I've seen much solid information I can point you to sorry. In general if methanol absorbs moisture form humid air, it can cause corrosion in the fuel system and injectors. This shouldn't be an issue if you store the fuel in sealed containers though.

We empty our fuel system after every raceday and fuel lines are mostly aluminium and teflon, so corrosion should not be a big problem.

I have now about 100 liters of methanol that has been in plastic containers for about a year now and I plan to use some of it in testing.

So if there is some minor amount of water, it should not be a problem.

Uh, I suspect you're setting yourself up for some rather nasty problems.

Methanol, containing some contamination, can be a problem with aluminium corrosion due to the basic chemical interaction that strips the aluminium of the oxide layer that normally protects it - pure aluminium, and most of it's alloys, is actually a very reactive metal, that appears stable because the oxide layer (basically aluminium rust) is non-reactive and forms a protective layer. It needs only a VERY SMALL amount of the wrong dissolved impurities and water in the methanol to start the corrosive process. Youll know if you have a problem as, IIRC, it will form a whitish 'fur' on aluminium parts.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285870183_Corrosion_and_Its_Mechanism_of_Aluminum_in_Methanol_Environment

I recently watched this webinar. What I didn't hear were any recommendations for lambda for a high compression N/A engine, say 13:1. Would it be similar to the boosted recommendation?

Also, there is another big downside of methanol that I didn't hear mentioned. From what I have read elsewhere, it is much more toxic than petrol and can cause serious irreversible nervous system problems, blindness etc. It should be handled with extreme care.