Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

1995 Ford F-150, Single Cab, Short Bed, 302 V8, Manual Trans and.......Haltech 1500

Build Threads

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Keep everyone up to date with how your project is coming along. 

= Resolved threads

Author

Hey guys, wanted to start a build thread to toss together an introduction for my current project because I KNOW I will have more questions than the current.

After searching for a long time I finally found my highschool dream truck. OBS Ford F-150, shortwide, v8, and manual trans.

The truck runs and drives but the motor is pretty worn out and the check engine light is on with multiple codes (mainly EGR related). This is where it all starts....

Because the engine is worn out, I am going to build a 408 stroker for it and drop it in. Because of that AND the EGR issues, I am going to put a standalone ECU into it. I bought a Holley Terminator X to put in the truck a YEAR ago...but they are so backordered that who knows when it will show up. So now I have decided to put a Haltech 1500 in the truck and this is where the questions start.

So, I am very mechanically inclined. I build my own motors and understand the "physics" behind how motors operate. I have built engine harnesses for motorcycles from scratch but they were carbed and so they were straightforward and not complicated. While that wasnt bad, here we are with EFI....a little more complicated...hence the questions.

My CURRENT plan is make a conversion harness for the Ford factory harness and the Haltech. Yes, I know they offer premium harnesses and even a sbf/chevy/dodge v8 harness BUT I want to learn. So, I want to build a jumper harness and get the 302 running on the Haltech and then when I drop the 408 in it, I would like to do a new harness. Basically, I want to learn some wiring and some tuning on the 302 before I pull it out.

So, for the current setup, the motor is fully stock. This means that it is an OBD1 ford v8. It has a distributor for spark and TFI module for timing. I do NOT need any of the EGR stuff for the vehicle is old enough to not need it where I live.

I began making a spreadsheet of the factory ecu connector so that I can cross pins to the Haltech 1500 and I started seeing labels that either do not make sense by what Ford called it or I could not find a relation to the Haltech diagram.

Does somebody know these old Ford ECUs that could assist? The only thing that I THINK is different from a regular dizzy v8 pinouts are the pins for the TFI module that Ford used. So I can go ahead and say what those pins are:

Ford OEM Pin 36 which is "Spark Out" or "SPOUT" and this is the cam sync signal

Ford OEM Pin 56 which is "PIP Out" and this is the crank angle signal

The dizzy has a Hal sensor inside for the "crank" angle and then the TFI modifies that signal to create a cam signal.

Can somebody please assist on cross referencing the two pinouts? I am fully ok with running this engine in wasted spark and the O2 sensor(s) will be connected via CAN to the ecu.

I have attached a picture of the pinout of the factory ford connector and the excel sheet that I have started.

Thank you!

Attached Files

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?