Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

Turbocharging a naturally aspirated diesel engine (Mercedes Benz OM-364)

Diesel Tuning Fundamentals

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discussion and questions related to the course Diesel Tuning Fundamentals

= Resolved threads

Author

I'm actually surprised that this topic doesn't seem to be covered in detail by the course or in this forum.

I'd like to turbocharge the Mercedes Benz OM-364 engine of a Toyota bandeirante (the Brazilian equivalent of an FJ40 Land Cruiser).

There is kits on the market with Borg Warner K16 turbo and intercooler so that's the way I would go. As the air input increases dramatically, is has a good cooling effect on the engine, but when you turbocharge the engine you also want more power.

What are additional changes to be made?

1) The injectors seem to be handling the extra fuel, the pump as well - is there ways to adjust them?

2) Is additional water/oil cooling recommended or isn't that a major issue on diesel engines?

3) Engine internals seem to handle the extra buff well and there is factory oil squirters on the pistons

There are OM-364T and OM-364TI versions on the market in other vehicles, so it might be possible to interchange parts if needed.

Thanks

Matthias,

I'm not familiar with that particular engine, but if you aren't able to find others who have done this before you, you get to be the pioneer.

Perhaps you'll get lucky and someone with experience with that engine will chime in.

In terms of cooling and engine reliability, the more you can monitor, accurately and quickly, the more complete and accurate a picture you'll get of engine operation, and you'll be able to make more informed decisions on where items need upgraded. If nothing is getting overly hot, pressures are ok, you might be OK as is.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?