Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

350Z - Beginner tuner installing a SC

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

Hi all, I'm still very much a beginner at tuning; my experience is limited to installing a G4X on my 350Z (after big cams) and tuning from completely undriveable to a perfectly fine, normal driving car (I wouldn't have taken it to the track). I had installed a Haltech WB2 so AFR can be accurately read.

The car has since been professionally tuned and behaving as expected (idle settings still need some work tho).

Now, I'm about to install a supercharger, ID 1050X injectors (from stock) and switch to E85 before I take it back to be professionally tuned again. Obviously this affects my AFR setting, VE, fuel table, ignition timing and injector settings (dead times etc..).

I know the principle concepts of tuning don't change, but the risk increases dramatically with boost.

My question is, am I kidding myself if I want to road tune it again to the point I can drive it to the tuner (30 min drive with highway)?

Maybe I can ask this in a different way. If I wanted to achieve the above:

-Add forced induction

-Install much larger injectors

-Switch to E85 (from 98 tune)

I know I'm going to have to:

-Set base fuel in my FPR and connect vacuum

-Change AFR setting (to recognise E85 AFR)

-Change injector dead times

Can someone suggest some priority changes I should make to my configuration to make it a little safer, like:

-Apply a % reduction in ignition timing?

-Add % increase to fuel in fuel table?

I'd like to be able to get it driving myself, but if others think it's too difficult/risky given the deltas then I'll play it safe and pay for a tow...

The vehicle is going to be very lightly loaded, with a wide range of "tune" where it will still be driveable, so I expect you've got the basic skills to get it running to an acceptable level.

With the significant increase in fuel demands, might be a good idea to review the fuelling capacity? I don't know the vehicle, but at a minimum changing the fuel filter(s), as well as the other basics like fluid and filter services, fresh spark plugs a range or two colder/harder, tyre condition and pressures, etc.

Thanks Gord.

Fueling will be all good for my initial power goals while still on stock bottom end (~300wkw). I installed a DW300 pump and RFS earlier this year. Went one step closer on the plugs too.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?