Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

dsm 91 4g63 aem borg s300 62mm compressor wheel

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

Hey, have a few questions on and ignition map for the dsm 91. Curious on what kinda timing u guys are running at peak torque never tuned a 4g63 before. I'm used to 3sgte motor. We run a shit ton of timing in the mr2. There not knock limited at all. Lol I run 19 degrees at peak torque in my mr2. I have tuned a few evos and there about 1 to 2 dares at peak torque. But seems like the dsm I'm running 3 degrees and degrees and it's poppin and crackin. Up the timing and it gets better. But we don't have a dyno here well a 4 wheel within 300 miles. So I just do street tunes. I'm running about 28psi of boost and 4 degrees right now it's not popping but seems like it lacks torque where it should be a lot more for the boost level. The mr2 runs a lot of timing cause it uses a distributor. Well that's what I have researched anyway. And the dsm is distributor to was curious if it's in the same ball park as the mr2 or the Evo?

This question comes up reasonably regularly and my answer is always the same - Asking for advice on specific timing values on any forum (even ours) can be exceptionally dangerous. There are simply too many variables at stake that can affect what a particular engine can safely accept in the way of timing. For example you don't make any reference to the fuel you're running on just to name one parameter.

Better than trying to use a timing map or timing advice from someone else is to understand what you're trying to achieve and applying that knowledge to the task. Obviously the dyno is the best place as you can see the immediate affect of altering the timing. I understand you're tuning on the street which is fine, but to do this safely and effectively you need to be using audio knock detection gear so you can tell when you are starting to encounter knock.

With that being said, from my own experience I find the DSM (Galant VR4) cylinder head generally wants more ignition timing than the Mitsubishi EVO head, despite their outward similarities. If the car is running poorly with 3 degrees and improves when you add timing, this is a sufficient clue that provided you aren't encountering knock, you are probably on the right track.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?