Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

plex tuning sdm 550 on a gt86

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

hey folks

as the title says im trying to get my sdm to read my gt86 canbus.

plex have loads of templates, unfortunately, none for the Toyota.

I'm planning to log the rpm throttle peddle and map from the from the cars oe management (currently wanting to stick with ecutek)

then setup a second can network for ecumaster lambda to can, PDU, switch pad, EGT to can and the plex knock monitor.

can anyone advise a process to work out the configuration of the sdm please?

Ok so I’ve managed to get the sdm reading engine management data. I played around with can settings and the obd templates plex supply.

am I doing this right by reading the cars can network on one network and making another up for the ”motorsport sensors and controls”

Hi,

The Plex 550 has 2 bus's so you're quite correct in using 1 for vehicle CAN and 1 for auxiliary inputs, there are couple of things to consider however.

the OBD protocol may have a limited frequency for certain channels and this is variable depending on the vehicles' OBD ISO standard and can be circa 5hz. This would be more than enough for some parameters and insufficient for others. for example to evaluate knock, we would need to see the operating conditions (RPM, AFR, IGNadv, INJdc, MAP, IAT etc...) at the same logging rate as the knock signal usually 100hz or greater. If the OBD is only pumping out 5,20,50hz then samples will be lost.

This may be enough for your application if you're simply wanting to monitor you engine but sourcing the correct CAN .dbc file will enable the dash to use the vehicles ECU CAN bus and sample data at a higher rate. There a number of other products out there that integrate with the ECU so the .dbc file should be available. Alternatively the Plex dash has a number of analogue 0-5v inputs that could be used for sensors where higher logging rates are required.

It's also worth noting that the more data transmitted over CAN the lower the sampling rate will be and could increase the risk of a data freeze so any safety critical or control parameters should use a dedicated bus or analogue input.

hope this helps,

regards,

Scott

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?