Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

Toyota 86 2013 Ecu recomendation

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

Hi we are looking at a cost-effective way to tune a Toyota 86 with a fa20 engine that has been turbocharged. Is there anyway we can do flash or live tuning with the factory Ecu?. Or is there a cheaper option than the Motec 86 kit? What do you think about using a link Ecu and only use port injection. I will also need to find all the info to set up the can system for the ABS, stability control, air conditioning and the OE dash.

Hi, I would go for ECUTEK this will allow end user to self tune the car , the Ecutek is pretty good as you can take control of the Carbon canister solenoid so this can be used to control the boost. With the upgraded set up you can have the same amount of tunable items as a Ecutek Pro tuner.

EcuTek is your best option for reflashing the factory ECU in my opinion. I wouldn't recommend running port injection only as the performance of the car will suffer if you do so - DI really allows a lot more headroom with the ignition advance before you find the know threshold. If you use an aftermarket ECU you'll also face the issue that the gauge cluster won't work as that is controlled via CAN messages from the ECU.

@Andre Simon, I am a lil confised by "If you use an aftermarket ECU you'll also face the issue that the gauge cluster won't work as that is controlled via CAN messages from the ECU". This is not correct at least in terms of the motec m150 I am using.

Contact Emtron and see if they have anything on the shelf now

The Toyota 86 package from Motec supports all the factory CAN-bus messaging (ABS, power steering, dash etc).

I believe what Andre was meaning that if you purchase a generic wire in ECU which does not have the specific CAN-bus messaging (ie a Link ECU), items like the power steering and dash will not work correctly.

I agree that ECUTek is the way to go if you cannot justify the expense of the Motec solution.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?