Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

Motul 300V Motcycle Oil -vs- Synthetic Car oil in a Twin Turbo

Off Topic Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

If it's not really about tuning or wiring. Then it belongs in here.

= Resolved threads

Author

Hi everyone,

I was watching a webinar where Simon was talking about tuning and touched on the topic of engine oils. We all know the importance of choosing the right filters and engine oils for our motors.

At the time, Simon was telling us he was running a Castol oil in his engine and was speaking about bearing life...

Simon then mentioned he switched to Motul 300V 20w-50 and saw a significant increase in bearing life over the Castrol brand probably due to the makeup of the Additives in the 300v, like Zinc and so forth...

My question is, Can you run a Motorcycle oil, like Motul 300V 20w-50 in your car???!!!

My theory is, YES you can.

I took the liberty to test the new motorcycle oil straight out of the bottle and had it sent to the lab for results. Please find attached the test results of the Motorcycle oil I just used in Twin Turbo.

I know you guys do a TON of research, and I know you have the most experience with the "trial and errors" side of things.

Can someone please let me know if it's ok to run motorcycle oil in a car? My car happens to be a 1500hp Twin Turbo Lamborghini. I'm very fortunate and I would like to keep my engine healthy and strong.

I can tell you a fun fact... I was changing the oil filter on the car over the weekend and after breaking the filter loose, I had the most difficult time spinning the filter off the housing because it was so slick and slippery from the Motorcycle oil I put in it already. Also, I did notice only after 200 miles, the oil sure is dark and black again. Is this normal.

Thank you so much for the replays guys. I need it!

Cheers from California my awesome car peeps! :)

Eddie Stokes - F1Lambo I.G.

Attached Files
  • 5.-Sample-Test-for-Ultra-1-PLUS-20w-50-4T.pdf
  • Attachments may only be downloaded by paid Gold members. Read more about becoming a Gold member here.

Hi Eddie, I certainly don't claim to be an oil expert so I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer your specific question. I've never tried a motorcycle oil in a car so I don't have first hand experience. A little digging however revealed some info relevant to your question and this is specifically from Motul:

"Unlike what one would like to think, there is a pronounced difference between car and motorcycle engine oils. To start with, most motorbikes run at a higher engine speed, putting the oil under much higher stress as the engine operates at a higher temperature. Motorcycle engines, thus need to have a much superior shear stability, or resistance to losing viscosity at higher temperatures.

But that’s just a part of the problem.

Another big problem is that motorcycle use the same oil for both engine and gearbox. In a passenger car, on the other hand, the transmission is lubricated by an ATF fluid. This fluid possesses special frictional properties required for transmission operation. Motorcycles don’t have a provision for two different fluids for two different functions, so the oil needs to have special properties. This requires motorcycle oils to be uniquely formulated with dedicated technology. Friction modifiers, which are used in car oils for better fuel-efficiency can lead to clutch slippage in motorcycles.

Thus, the engine oils for cars and motorcycles are different, and even if the ratings might look similar, one should only use engine oils specific to cars and motorcycles and not commit the mistake of interchanging the two varieties."

The above info is from this article - https://www.motoroids.com/features/motul-all-about-lubes-engine-oil-basics-difference-between-car-motorcycle-oils/

I do tend to find that Motul 300V does tend to discolour faster than other oils and I don't have an real explanation for that sorry.

Your best option is probably to contact the tech' support for the various oil brands. Oh, and regular oil and filter changes, of course.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?