Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

032 | Tuning with AEM Infinity: An Introduction

Webinar Questions

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Ask questions about webinar lessons here. To see the Previous Webinars for a complete list of archives tuning webinars. 

= Resolved threads

Author

In this webinar we will give you an introductory tour of the Infinity Tuner Software and look at how to approach tuning the AEM’s VE-based fuel model. For this webinar we will be using the AEM Infinity plug & play package for the Nissan 350Z.

Watch: Tuning with AEM Infinity: An Introduction

English Subtitles: Coming Soon

Hi thanks for the great video, very well explained which has made it easy for me to grasp. My question, as simple and obvious as it may be, is i plan on using an infinity on my s4 13b turbo rx7. In the initial setup is there an option for a rotary? Would i specify 2 cylinders or 4 in order to have separate leading and trailing ignition. Thankyou!

If you load up a saved session for the FD RX7 for example, this will give you a configuration specific to a rotary engine. This removes the selection for aspects such as engine cylinders and gives you rotary specific functionality.

If you load up a saved session for the FD RX7 for example, this will give you a configuration specific to a rotary engine. This removes the selection for aspects such as engine cylinders and gives you rotary specific functionality.

I'm not sure if I need to ask this question in here or in general tuning section. I've started using Infinity on a Supra. Got it to run very smooth in idle and cruse, so I started to tune boost areas. Starting with wastegate spring which is 9 to 10 psi, but having an odd issues during the power run starting from 2 gear and finishing it up in 4th. 2nd and 3rd gear afr tracks great according to target lambda but in middle of 4th gear my target lambda dips well below what is assigned in target lambda table. This happens even with lambda fb unchecked and no other compensation tables are enabled. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?

That sounds pretty unusual to me. There are only a finite number of parameters that will affect the AFR so I'd be looking at these: ECT, IAT, MAP, and rpm across the different gears. You can correlate this with measured AFR and the injector pulse width to try and pin point what is changing and causing the fluctuation in your AFR.

With the Infinity, are you supposed to modify the VE table? I don't have a lot of confidence in the tuner I'm using which is why I purchased this course. He's supposed to help me implement a second VE table when VTEC is engaged but he seems to be taking his sweet time. Anyway, in the attached image left the maker on the plot where the measured lambda is 1.05 while the target lambda is .9 even though I'm WOT. Another curious thing is the number next to "NewVE." Is this what the ECU thinks should be the correct VE for the engine? Am I supposed to set my VE to this "NewVE" in order to make sure my engine hits the correct AFR? I checked my other log files and it seems to be the case that when the current VE and the "NewVE" are close then the engine is able to hit the target AFR. TIA!

Attached Files

Answer is yes to all of your questions.

It looks like your lambda feedback isn't enabled by looking at your image. By having this enabled, it will provide you with information to increase or decrease percentage of your VE cell by reading amount of correction the feedback is being applied. I like to get Inj1lambdaFB as close to zero.

As b00stedawd has said, you need to modify the VE table until your target lambda matches your measured lambda. From that log it appears your VE table needs a little work. I'd also recommend enabling the closed loop fuel control however it's important to realise that this function isn't a substitute for properly tuning the VE table - It's really there to help make small adjustments if necessary to account for any day to day fluctuations in AFR.

I'm pretty sure I have it turned on, the attached screenshot should indicate that. However, it appears that something else could be causing the fluctuations. I have a fuel pressure sensor on my AEM fuel rail and it appears to be leaking pretty badly. I'm going to buy some Loctite 592 to seal it. Would y'all recommend this course of action or is there something wrong with the pressure sensor or fuel rail that would prevent it from sealing when properly tightened?

Attached Files

Sorry I just re-read your last post and from your screen shot yes your closed lop lambda is enabled. The 'New VE' value is calculated by the ECU based on whatever the current lambda feedback is. So essentially if your VE table value is 90% and the closed loop lambda is adding 5% to reach the target lambda value, then the New VE value would be 95%.

A fuel pressure sensor uses an 1/8" NPT thread typically and I seal these with Loctite 567 teflon thread sealer.

Hello. How does the lack of accountability of charge cooling coefficient by the AEM Infinity affect the VE tuning on methanol fuel? Also, would it make lambda targets more inconsistently achieved relative to other tuning platforms that takes this coefficient into account?

Hi Auvarhonne, the lack of charge cooling coefficient in the AEM isn't really a deal breaker. What we tend to find is that any error caused by the ECU not considering this aspect tends to be baked into the VE table. The important part to keep in mind with ECUs that do account for the charge cooling effect is that it still isn't always perfectly accurate throughout the engine's operating envelope and is really what I consider a 'fudge factor' that is designed to help improve the accuracy of the system. It all comes down to the fact that a speed density system is calculating mass airflow rather than directly measuring it and hence a range of compensations and fudge factors are needed to try and get the calculated value to be as accurate as possible across a wide range of varying conditions.

I've been tuning aftermarket ECUs for years that never had any charge cooling compensation or charge temp estimate capability and could still get a reliable and consistent tune so I honestly wouldn't be too concerned.

Andre, thanks a million as always.

Np!

Auvarhonne a wha u have a run Pon methanol daddy?

This may be a stupid question which I apologize for in advance. I have a customer that was playing with a diablo sport tuner and unplugged causing a u0100 code which is loss of communication with the ECU I had told him prior to him leaving the shop if it is a bad ECU we can go back to factory or go to a stand alone system I am a P1 performance distributor which they have AEM products the only question I have because he seems to want to go to the standalone system. Is the "plug and play" harness going to allow him to keep stock gauges as well as everything else that is factory on this car? I appreciate any info AEM doesn't have a lot of info on this. I feel confident on tuning this NA LS3 with the courses I have gone through 2 or 3 times I just don't want to have him spend 2k on something to figure out we need to buy more stuff for it.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?