Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

Choosing Cam Angles / LSA - High Comp Nissan VQ30/35 Turbo

Engine Building Fundamentals

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discussion and questions related to the course Engine Building Fundamentals

= Resolved threads

Author

Hello All,

I'm building my VQ30/VQ35 motor. VQ30 Heads (no VCT), VQ35 block and rotating assembly. I've calculated my static compression ratio at 9.9:1 with the combination of parts I have.

I'm at the point of installing the camshafts. Early measurement of valve events has shown they are less than ideal. These cams are intended for a VQ35de (with intake only VCT) and have been installed into a VQ30 with no VCT. The cam manufacturers installed centreline and angles don't translate. I am engineering a way to make the intake and exhaust both adjustable.

The cams have the following specifications:

Advertised Duration: 264 Deg

Duration @.050 : 222 deg

Considering the high compression nature of the motor (this isn't something I can change easily), I am mindful of high cylinder pressures by advancing the cams too far. The cylinder head is well clamped with ARP L19 head studs and high quality head gaskets, however the block remains open deck.

When dialing and setting up these cams, what would be suitable intake and exhaust center lines to try and achieve?

The engine is in a lightweight car, with a GM Powerglide transmission with a ~4000rpm stall converter. Redline has been ~7200rpm in the past.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Yes, i've completed the course on checking cam timing, it doesn't really answer this question.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?