Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

Stock ECU for 2jz-gte VVTi + Garret GTX3076R Gen2

General Engine Building Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Talk about engine building here. New products, tricky questions or showcase your work - If it's engine building related it's welcome here.

= Resolved threads

Author

Hi all,

Sorry for my English, but I have a small question. I am trying to swap 2JZ-GTE VVTi into my Mazda Rx-8 (daily + drift car). In the first stage, it had to be cheap and fast, but it took a lot of money and a lot of time. I have to start the engine at least somehow to make official documents for this swap.

My engine specs:

2JZ-GTE + CP pistons 86.5mm (+0.5mm from the stock) + Brain Crower rods + ACL + ARP + new oil pump + new water pump + Garret GTX3076R Gen2.

My target:

Now I don't have more money to replace clutch and fuel injectors (and now is winter, so it is pretty hard for tires to catch the road), so my target for the first time is ~350 hp like a stock engine. Then, but later, I am going to replace clutch, injectors and adjust ECU. It takes around 1 day and the second stage will be ~500-600 hp.

Questions:

- Is it OK to run the engine on stock ECU? As far as I know, stock ECU has maps till 0.93 bar of boost. Stock boost is 0.7.

- And in case if yes, which boost is safe to use (with regular petrol from the gas station A95, I guess that it is the same as 90 or 92 petrol into the USA)?

- In case if it is dangerous for the engine to have a boost on stock ECU with another turbo, maybe it is OK to run it without boost like a naturally aspirated engine?

The engine should work to have official documents (it doesn't matter how, but it should), after that, I am going to replace stock ECU by Link G4+ Fury or Extreme. But my target is to make official documents first.

P.S. Instagram with posts only about my car: https://www.instagram.com/yehor.shevchenko/ where I put all pictures about the swap.

Thanks!

You might be able to get away with it. Certainly back in that time frame (90s/early 2000s) people did stock ECU plus some kind of simple piggyback controller. You will need a wideband to see if it is running too lean, and I'm sure the MAF scaling and all the other stuff inside the ECU will be way off. So it could driveability problems.

Also an Rx-8 as a vehicle operates on CAN messages for many of the functions to work, so for example your factory Rx-8 speedometer will not work.

So basically yeah you need to get more money to buy the right stuff. If you think getting an ECU is expensive, think how much a blown motor is going to cost.

Thanks for the answer. I don't want to use stock ECU for riding, just to make official documents. There is only one condition - engine should work.

What if I open wastegate and turbo won't work? Like naturally aspirated engine. Will it be safe? I guess that car manufacturer had to create some kind of "emergency mode" in case if turbos are broken. Just to not to die in the middle of nowhere with broken turbos.

In regards to CAN-bus into RX8 - it is a known issue and I am going to replace the stock dashboard with a set of gauges. Also, master that works with Link ECU said that he can make Rx8 dashboard alive. It is hard to explain my plan, but now all that I want to do is make official documents for this swap.

Thanks!

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?