Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

ignition map tuning first time tuning car haltech elite 2500

General Tuning Discussion

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discuss all things tuning in this section. News, products, problems and results. 

= Resolved threads

Author

Well my car is running perfect right now using the long term fuel trim feature on the haltech elite 2500 makes dialing in the target afr a breeze. I have a dyno apt to attempt to tune my ignition map. Ive never done it before. I posted on a fb page for some insight and guys are telling me to steady state tune the map to 4500 rpm then ramp run, or add 1-2 degrees of timing from 2500-max rpm which is 7500-8k. My wastegate is set to 19psi spring pressure. Is this a common strat? I know to listen for knock and compare hp/tq on timing increases. Motor is a 6g74 with 3076htz turbos fully built. This is just pump gas tune for now.

Hey Sonny, if you don't already have our Practical Standalone Tuning course then I'd strongly recommend it. We cover all of the strategies you need to understand in order to properly optimise fuel and ignition timing on a dyno. We also break the tuning process down into 10 individual steps to make the process easier to manage and also to make sure that you don't overlook any critical steps.

I recommend mapping ignition and fuel in steady state out to about 2/3 of the engine rev limit and completing the remainder of the tuning using WOT ramp runs. You may also benefit from watching our turbo tuning webinar - https://www.hpacademy.com/previous-webinars/085-turbo-tuning-basics/

I watched that webinar. You kinda flew over the ignition table so it's daunting still. So in that practical tuning course does it show you map the ignition table in detail from start to finish ?

Also I'm afraid if I spend the cash on that course and still don't understand LOL

I wanna know what load rpm cell you typically start in steady state. I seen after you see the hp/tq you add a degree with foot off pedal. Then hit gas again see if any changes. If there's a increase where's the next spot you pick, and you extrapolated vertically? How do I do that on my haltech elite 2500. So do this all the way to 5000rpm then start wot ramp runs and add timing where ? Do ignition tables need to be smooth ?

Yes the practical course shows the process from start to finish in real time. Remember that we do offer a 100% money back guarantee so if you decide the course is over your head (I really doubt it), there's no problem - just let us know.

I start at the minimum load you can hold steady state on the dyno and around 1500 rpm. This allows the tuning process to start with minimal load on the engine and hence very little chance of anything going wrong. You can then build up the load and finally when you get to WOT you can copy the column across to the next rpm range and repeat.

The ignition table will generally have a pretty smooth shape but it doesn't need to be absolutely perfectly smooth. You need to find out what the engine needs and give it to it.

Simon I bought that practical tuning lesson like you suggested. It was still to quick for me to learn on the steady state ignition tuning. I noticed you decreased ignition like 2 degrees for every load cell up but then you started copying the numbers over.

My problem is i I need to see it on a booster car. Like I plan on boosting to 45psi, and I feel like it's easy to do this on a na vehicle but it's different on a high hp turbo car.

Not sure how to get this through my head lol I have a dyno booked soon within two weeks but am not confident I will do this properly.

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?