Sale ends todayGet 30% off any course (excluding packages)

Ends in --- --- ---

Pinning large Autosport. Connector (motec C187)

Practical Motorsport Wiring - Professional Level

Forum Posts

Courses

Blog

Tech Articles

Discussion and questions related to the course Practical Motorsport Wiring - Professional Level

= Resolved threads

Author

Is there a video that covers pinning large autosport connectors like the 79-way connector used on a Motec C87? After the inner ring or two is done, it gets really tight an difficult. Wondering if there are any tips, especially to make it nice and tidy with organized strain loops.

this was my first harness from a year ago, before I took the course! Hoping my next one comes out better.

Attached Files
  • F1415885-EBD0-4BB9-A881-D71A84BC5C47.jpeg
  • Attachments may only be downloaded by paid Gold members. Read more about becoming a Gold member here.

On the 79 pin connector, I always start with the highest numbered pin and work downward, (outward from the center of the connector). I avoid trimming the wires to length until I know whether they are on the correct side of the connector, or I need extra length to go around existing wires in the center.

G'day Colin.

Working from the inside out is essential, as you lose easy access to the pin locations in the middle of the connector very quickly otherwise. As you have picked up on, organising the loops is quite tricky. To be brutally honest, this is something I struggle with getting looking as neat as you see on the gram and similar. My approach is to have the loops get closer to the body of the connector the further out to the periphery of the connector you pin, and have them all facing inwards. As long as they are there, somewhat logical, and going their job, then I don't stress too much about it looking picture perfect. As much as my OCD tells me otherwise...

We usually reply within 12hrs (often sooner)

Need Help?

Need help choosing a course?

Experiencing website difficulties?

Or need to contact us for any other reason?