Achieving accurate and stable control of boost pressure is essential to the reliability and performance of any turbocharged engine. Achieving this sort of control though can be more difficult than it appears due in part to the complex nature of the turbo system and the constantly changing conditions it operates under.
Tuning closed loop boost control also requires a thorough understanding of how a PID control system operates and this can be challenging for even some experienced tuners. This course simplifies boost control tuning, giving you a plain english explanation of PID control so you understand how the system works and you will also learn a step-by-step process for tuning and optimising closed PID control.
In particular you will learn:
- How the wastegate controls boost pressure
- Differences between internal and external wastegates
- How a 2 port and 3 port boost solenoid works and which you should be using
- How to plumb a wastegate for the best results
- Common boost control problems that can effect your results
- How a PID control system works and the correct approach to tuning it
- How to configure and tune an open loop boost control system
- How to configure and tune a closed loop boost control system
Our tutor Andre has specialised in tuning turbocharged cars over his career, tuning everything from high end drag engines running upwards of 55 psi boost, through to engines for boost-limited race classes where absolute boost accuracy was essential.
After completing this course you will understand how to correctly configure and tune open loop and closed loop boost control systems to achieve perfect boost control. More importantly though you will understand the fundamentals behind the boost control system and how the ECU can influence boost pressure.
This course assumes an understanding of EFI engine tuning principles, so if you are new to tuning we recommend you start with our EFI Tuning Fundamentals and our Practical Tuning courses before starting this course.
What you will learn
- How a wastegate works
- Common boost control problems
- How to tune open loop boost control
- How to tune closed loop boost control
- What PID control is and how to tune it
- How to connect a boost control solenoid